American Civilization (BA)
Dr. Crispell, Program Coordinator
This concentration is an interdisciplinary program of study that aims to ground students in the values and virtues of our American civilization, animating its basic elements and solidifying its foundations. Students graduating from the College with a degree in American Civilization will be trained in research, writing, and critical/analytical thinking, while studying the contextual foundation for our society.
Entrance requirements include completion of the general education core and successful completion of either AMS 4811 or AMS 4812. The academic background and preparation of each potential major is carefully considered, and an interview or writing sample may be required.
Total Semester Hours
Majors in American Civilization must complete at least 120 semester hours of accredited college work, excluding physical education activities courses. At least 51 hours must be completed at the 3000-4000 level, including major core and elective courses.
General Education Requirements
Each student must complete the 36-hour general education core, three hours of physical education classes, and the CAAP exam. Two semesters of foreign language are required. (Transfer students who have completed at least 60 semester hours, including courses that satisfy the 36-hour general education core at Florida College, will not be required to take the CAAP or PE activities courses.)
The American Civilization concentration requires that a student complete two semesters of a foreign language.
Daily Bible Requirement
All students living on campus and off-campus students enrolled in more than six credit hours must take a Biblical Literature course each day that they take classes on the Florida College campus.
Requirement for the Major in History
Prerequisites (12 hours)
- AMH 2010 American History: 1607-1865
- EUH 1000 Western Civilization: Beginnings-1660
- AMH 2020 American History: 1865-Present or EUH 1001 Western Civilization: 1660-Present Two semesters of foreign language
- Completion of AA requirements at Florida College, or equivalent courses A 2.50 grade point average
Core Program Requirements
While prerequisite course work may include transfer or AP/CLEP credit, all required upper division course work in History must be completed at Florida College.
- 12 hours of 3000-4000 level courses (no P/F option courses)
Great Books (3 hours)
American Civilization core (33 hours)
- AMH 3130 Revolutionary America, 1765-1789
- AMH 3170 The American Civil War and Reconstruction
- AMH 3201 TR’s America, 1880-1912
- AMH 3270 Post-1945 America
- AMH 3510 U.S. Diplomatic History, 1765-1898
- AMH 4254 America and the WWII Experience, 1939-1945
- AMH 3543 The Pacific War
- AMS 4811 American Intellectual History: 1607-1865
- AMS 4812 American Intellectual History: 1865-present
- EUH 3401 History of the Greek World
- EUH 3411 History of the Roman World
Electives (12 hours)
- AMH 3621 History of Christianity in America
- AMH 3622 History of the Restoration Movement
- AMH 4172 The Civil War Era, 1861-1865
- AML 2010 American Literature, Colonial to 1865
- AML 2020 American Literature, 1865-Present
- ASH 3230 History of the Middle East
- EUH 3245 Europe from 1914 to 1945
- EUH 4453 Age of the French Revolution and Napoleon
- REL 3503 Church History: Ancient and Medieval
- REL 3504 Church History: Reformation and Modern Core Education Courses
- Great Books
- American and British Literature
- Political Science
Quality of Work
Students must complete a minimum of 36 hours of their upper level work at Florida College in order to complete the BA in History. For all students, on-line course work is not permitted unless express permission is granted by the department chair.
Candidates must participate in graduation exercises.