- Dr. Tom Hamilton will serve as Department Chairman beginning in the summer of 2021.
- Dr. Will Dilbeck participated in a conference on Patristics at Oxford University in 2019. His paper was “Prepositional Metaphysics and Vergil in Jerome’s Exegesis of Ephesians 4:6.” This paper will be published in the conference proceedings at the end of 2021 (Studia Patristica).
- Dr. Dilbeck also has the following article accepted for publication: “The Speech of Anchises and Early Arguments for Monotheism in Minucius Felix and Lactantius,” Journal of Early Christian Studies 29.3 (2021- forthcoming).
- Dr. Nathan Ward delivered a paper at the SCJ Conference this spring (2021). The paper was titled “Esther Among Her Peers: Intertextuality and Religion in the Book of Esther.”
- Dr. David McClister has an article accepted for publication this year in Restoration Quarterly, entitled “The Gathering of Israel and the Fragrant Perfume of John 12:3.”
D. Philip Roberts Award for 2020
The Department of Biblical Studies at Florida College awarded the D. Philip Roberts Award for excellence in Biblical Studies to Ethan Sink.
The department members said of Ethan: “Ethan is a bright and engaged student of Scripture, whose work distinguishes itself by its meticulous attention to detail. Ethan approaches the biblical text with fresh eyes, but without abandoning those things which have been handed down to him. More importantly, Ethan models what he studies in his own life: he is a kind, honest and diligent servant of Christ.”
Academic Awards in Biblical Studies
- Abigail Alford received the Edgar V. Srygley, Jr. Award in First-Year Greek.
- William Smith received the Baker Book Award.
- Brent Dyer received the Zondervan Greek Award.
- Mikah Slatter received the Zondervan Hebrew Award.
Dr. Phillip Roberts Award for Excellence
Three of the department faculty will be speakers on the main program at the 2019 Florida College Annual Lectures:
- Nathan Ward will speak at 7:30 p.m., Feb. 5, on the topic: “This Man Performs Many Signs”: Miracles as History.
- Will Dilbeck will speak at 11 a.m., Feb. 7, on the topic: “Who Is This Man?”: The God of the Storm.
- Tommy Peeler will speak at 7:30 p.m., Feb. 7, on the topic: “I am the Resurrection”: Miracles in Culmination.
In addition, Jason Longstreth, David McClister, Ray Madrigal, Jared Saltz and Tom Hamilton will be presenting classes on various topics in the Hutchinson Auditorium on the afternoons of Feb. 5-7. Please see the official Florida College Lectures web page for times and topics.
Jared Saltz Presented at the Society of Biblical Literature
Jared Saltz presented two papers at the annual meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature in Denver, Colorado in November 2018. The papers were: “ ‘He compelled those dwelling in the land to rear their children’: Hecataeus Abdera and the Context of Ekthesis” and “ ‘Moses made arrangements for the sacrifices that were utterly different from those of other races…’: Hecataeus of Abdera’s Portrayal of the Jewish Priesthood in Ptolemaic Egypt.”
Will Dillbeck Doctoral Degree
Congratulations to Will Dilbeck, who received his doctoral degree from Hebrew Union College (Cincinnati, Ohio) in the summer of 2018. His dissertation was “Non longe a veritate: The Speech of Anchises in Aeneid 6 and the Formation of Latin Christian Theology.” Dr. Dilbeck is currently exploring options for publishing his dissertation.
Biblical Studies Faculty Traveled to Israel
Six members of the faculty of the Department of Biblical Studies at Florida College traveled to Israel in the summer of 2018 with Luke Chandler Tours. Will Dilbeck, Tom Hamilton, Ray Madrigal, David McClister, Jared Saltz and Nathan Ward toured the length of the country, Dan to Beer-sheba, and presented evening classes for tour participants.