New Testament (BA)
Dr. McClister, Program Coordinator
Total Semester Hours
Candidates for a bachelor’s degree in New Testament must complete at least 120 semester hours of accredited college work, excluding physical education activities courses. At least 50 hours must be completed at the 3000- 4000 level, including major, minor, and elective courses.
General Education Requirements
Each student must complete the 36-hour general education core, three (3) hours of physical education classes, and the CAAP exam. Students pursuing the B.A. degree must take GRE 2140-2141 (Beginning Greek) in fulfillment of the language requirement. (Transfer students who have completed at least 60 semester hours, including courses that satisfy the 36-hour general education core at Florida College, will not be required to take the CAAP or PE activities courses.)
Each student must complete two semesters of Beginning Greek (GRE 2140-2141) as part of the general education core. A second year of New Testament Greek (GRW 3250-51) is required as part of the major.
Lower Division Bible Prerequisites (13 hours recommended; minimum 6 hours required, including REL 1240*)
- REL 1210 History and Geography of the Old Testament (2 hours)
- REL 1240 History and Geography of the New Testament (2 hours)*
- REL 1780 Evidences I: General Apologetics (1 hour)
- REL 1781 Evidences II: The Biblical Text (1 hour)
- REL 2223 Introduction to the Prophets (1 hour)
- REL 2257 NT Epistles: 1 Corinthians (1 hour)
- REL 2264 NT Epistles: Ephesians/Colossians/Philemon (2 hours)
- LIT 2371 Old Testament Poetry and Wisdom Literature (3 hours)
Required Core (13 hours)
- GRW 3250 NT Greek I (3 hours; may count as a daily Bible)
- GRW 3251 NT Greek II (3 hours; may count as a daily Bible)
- REL 3713 Introduction to Biblical Studies (3 hours)
- REL 4247 Critical Introduction to the NT (3 hours)
- REL 4901 Biblical Studies Portfolio (1 hour)
Upper Division Biblical Literature (minimum 17 hours of the following courses)
- REL 3235 NT Backgrounds (2 hours)
- REL 3253 Gospel and Epistles of John (3 hours)
- REL 3256 NT Epistles: 2 Corinthians, Timothy, Titus (3 hours) REL 3258 NT Epistles: James, Peter, Jude (2 hours)
- REL 3265 Gospel of Matthew (3 hours) REL 3266 Gospel of Mark (2 hours)
- REL 3268 NT Epistles: Thessalonians and Philippians (2 hours) REL 4254 Romans and Galatians (3 hours)
- REL 4255 Hebrews (2 hours)
- REL 4259 Book of Revelation (3 hours)
- REL 4900 Independent Directed Study in Biblical Literature (1-3 hours) REL 4930 Selected Topics (1-3 hours)
Requirements for the Minor
Each student must complete an approved minor in an area of study other than New Testament. Minors available for New Testament majors include the following areas: Christian Apologetics; Church History/Religious Thought; Biblical Languages; Behavioral Science; Business; Communication; Education; English; History; Humanities; Music; and Old Testament.
Sequence of Courses
Students should complete the 13 hours of Bible prerequisites during their freshman and sophomore years. Students should complete English Composition I and II during their freshman year of college work, or before enrolling in upper level Biblical Studies courses. The Greek requirement and REL 3713 should be completed in the student’s sophomore year. All general education courses and the CAAP exam must be completed prior to the beginning of the student’s senior year. The student will take REL 4901 in the final semester of the program.
Special one-hour courses offered as daily Bible for non-Bible majors, or courses taken under the pass/fail option may not be counted toward the New Testament major component.
Quality of Work
A minimum quality point average of 2.0 overall and on all upper level work is required.
Students must complete a minimum of 32 hours of their upper level work at Florida College, at least 16 of which must be completed after the semester in which the student has earned a cumulative total of at least 90 semester hours.
Candidates for the Bachelor of Arts degree in New Testament must participate in graduation exercises.