Jacob Stringer is leading His way.

Jacob Stringer has been dreaming of performing with the Florida College Friends since he saw them perform for the first time at Florida College Arkansas Camp.

“I was 13 years old when I saw the Friends for the first time,” Jacob said. “I remember thinking they were so cool. I always had it it my mind that I wanted to perform with them.”

Thanks to support from the James R. Cope Adopt Program, Jacob came to Florida College to study business administration and fulfilled his dream of joining the Friends. Now, he is finishing up traveling across the country on tour with the group for the fourth summer.

As a member of the Friends, Jacob plays the guitar, mandolin and banjo. He has been able to perform at a variety of shows and camps across the country, reminding him of his own camp experience at Florida College Arkansas Camp.

“To me, camp wasn’t about Florida College,” Jacob said. “It was about friends, the experience and spiritual growth.”

Although he wasn’t thinking about Florida College at camp, he came to the college for the same kinds of experiences and relationships. The environment at Florida College has provided Jacob with opportunities to grow academically and spiritually and to build meaningful relationships with his peers. In addition to performing with the Friends, he was an active member of Zeta Phi Epsilon, and many of his friends were his fellow society members.

“I came to Florida College predominately because I wanted to be in a good environment,” Jacob said. “I wanted to meet other Christians. You’re going to face temptations anywhere you go, but here, the overwhelming peer pressure is positive.”

Being a part of the Florida College Friends has allowed Jacob to build relationships with people beyond the borders of campus too. As the singing group travels across the country for their annual tour, they meet Florida College alumni and friends at every stop.

“Anywhere you go, there are people there who are friends of Florida College,” Jacob said. “A lot of times, I know them already or I know someone they know. It’s a small world but a big family too.”

Being a senior in the Friends group means you have a responsibility to be a leader. Jacob tries to set a positive example and leads devotionals for his bandmates, but most importantly, he focuses on representing the school well to the huge network of students, alumni and friends he meets.

“As a member of the Friends, you’re representing Florida College,” Jacob said. “I always have to make sure that I’m representing the school on tour and even when I’m on campus.”

That’s how Jacob Stringer is leading His way.

Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only
Scroll to Top