THE CURRENT

Stories

Hannah Finley is learning His way.

Hannah Finley is a junior at Florida College, where she has excelled academically, built lifelong relationships and grown in her faith.

These were all part of her life before college, when she was homeschooled. But for Hannah, being at Florida College was not only an easy transition; it was a place where she could cultivate her talents and interests, make new friends, and most importantly to her, benefit from being surrounded by Christians.

According to Hannah, not all colleges host this kind of environment. She recalls the two courses she took at a community college before attending Florida College:

“I went for three hours a week, but I felt lost. I mean, I literally got lost. And I didn’t know who to talk to or ask questions of. Teachers would come and go, and I didn’t feel comfortable approaching them at all. I was intimidated.”

At Florida College, Hannah has enjoyed personal relationships with each of her professors, whom she credits as being “helpful and providing guidance and understanding.”

Hannah is enrolled in the liberal studies program, where she studies components in physical education, behavioral science and business, and hopes to be the latest of many Florida College students to be accepted into graduate schools.

Hannah has embraced campus life as well. She played collegiate basketball and even had the opportunity to play in the national tournament and sing the national anthem at the event. Hannah also joined a society and her closest friends are the girls who live and study around her.

“I love being in the dorms where there are 15 girls living right next to you who can become your best friends,” she said. “It doesn’t feel too different from home because we’re a family here. It really does feel like home.”

This environment makes Hannah feel like she can recommend her college experience to others.

“You might be looking at other colleges, but at Florida College you can excel and be comfortable with yourself while being in an atmosphere that’s like home,” she said. “There’s a higher potential to feel like you belong.”

That’s how Hannah is learning His way.

Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only
Scroll to Top