Financial Aid

Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I start?

It depends on where you are. If you are still in high school but prior to your senior year, you will want to start with searching for grants and scholarships. Start your search in your community and then use the internet websites to exhaust your search. See “Getting Money for College” for more specific information.

If you are a senior in high school, you can use the fall se- mester to begin your search for grants and scholarships, scoring high on required tests (if necessary, taking tests again for a higher score) and in the spring add to that by filling out the FAFSA. You will receive a financial aid award letter and then you can finalize your financial package for your first year of college.

If you are in college, continue to look for grant and scholarship opportunities. Opportunities come through good academics, repeated attempts at previous scholarships or grants, and attempting new searches.

Where does financial aid come from?

There are four sources of financial aid: federal, state, institutional and outside aids.

How do I know if I will qualify for any Federal or State grants?

By completing the FAFSA. Your financial aid award letter will let you know if and how much you qualify for in federal, state (Florida) and/or institutional aids.

Do I have to pay back grants or scholarships?

Not unless they have specific requirements and you go over the requirements. For example, tuition-based scholarships only allow you to use the scholarship funds to cover tuition.

If you end up having all or most of your tuition covered before applying the scholarship, the awarding entity may require you to return the funds.

How much does it cost?

Please see the “Tuition Breakdown and Fee Summary Sheet.” You can also obtain that information on our website. Under the financial aid tab there is a breakdown of the cost per semester. The cost is the same if you are considered in-state or out-of-state.

Will the student be able to receive loans in their name to cover the remaining costs?

It depends on all of the aid received before the loan is applied, but generally, no. The government allows a limited amount of funding through the student Stafford loan. The government allows the parents to cover the final costs through the Parent Plus loan.

If I (or my parents) take out a loan and I receive a scholarship, do I have to keep the loan?

Federal loans are different than other kinds of loans. You can cancel your Stafford and/or Plus loan any time before the whole amount has been disbursed (it has two disbursements, one for each semester) or you can decrease the amount if you find that you don’t need the whole amount applied for.

What if I have a State prepay plan?

You will need to notify your state of your plans to attend Florida College so they know who to contact for billing purposes.

What does Florida College offer as far as scholarships?

Florida College offers scholarships in the following ways:

  • Academic
  • Departmental
  • Athletic
  • Adopt
  • Endowments

Academic scholarships are based on your test scores and GPA, Departmental and Athletic scholarships are determined by the department and coaches, respectively. Adopt is a gift opportunity based on financial need, and Endowments are based on the donor’s specified criteria

How do I know if I am receiving scholarships through Florida College?

You will receive a letter from the Admissions office if you will be receiving an Academic Scholarship. The Departmental and Athletic departments will generally send you a contract to sign accepting the scholarship.

The Adopt gift is only received after filling out the FAFSA, receiving an award letter showing how much you qualify for and filling out the application before the deadline. You will also be required to have your student loan in place before the deadline as well.

Endowment recipients will be notified via e-mail that they have the opportunity to receive the Endowment. A copy of the thank-you letter must be received in the financial aid office before the deadline and the scholarship will be added to your account. There is also an application on our website for an Endowment.