Music Department Mission Statement
The Florida College Music program provides courses leading to a liberal arts bachelor’s degree in music, as well as learning and performing opportunities for students with majors in other areas, in a context appropriate to the college’s overall emphasis on spiritual, mental, physical and social development.
Music Department Goals
- To provide a liberal arts music degree by which musically talented and interested students may realize their full intellectual and artistic potential within a context emphasizing Biblical values.
- To provide opportunities for students to develop the ability to think critically, communicate effectively, and solve problems individually and collectively.
- To equip students to hear, identify, and work conceptually with the elements of music.
- To develop in students an understanding of compositional processes, aesthetic properties of style, and the ways in which these are shaped by artistic and cultural forces.
- To expose students to a wide selection of musical literature, including principal eras, genres, and cultural sources.
- To provide opportunities for students to develop competence in at least one performing medium.
- To develop in students the ability to develop and defend musical judgments.
- To develop in students an understanding of the various professions and activities that constitute the musical enterprise.
Objectives for the Bachelor of Arts in Music
Students completing the Bachelor of Arts in Music degree at Florida College will be able to:
- Perform competently in public, both alone and in ensembles, an appropriate and varied repertoire of music for at least one performing medium.
- Hear, identify and work with elements of music such as rhythm, melody, harmony, structure, timbre, and texture.
- Compose, improvise and arrange music.
- Demonstrate an acquaintance with a wide selection of musical literature, including principal historical and stylistic eras through the present time, genres, and cultural sources.
- Develop and defend musical judgments.
- Conduct vocal and instrumental ensembles.
- Utilize music technology appropriately.